Students will move in Aug. 14-16 with the help of New Student Orientation leaders, staff and members of Greek life.
Move-ins are from 9 a.m. to noon at the West Lawn Pavilion. Honors students have early move-in Aug. 14, music and theater students have early move-in Aug. 15, and general move-in for new and returning students are on Aug. 16.
The PanHellenic community won’t be helping with check-ins at the Pavilion as they did in the past, but will instead be helping unload vehicles and carry items in for new students with the fraternity men.
Stars Week is filled with activities for incoming students to get to know the campus and each other, but highlights include:
- Stars Week Welcome Picnic from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Aug. 16 in the caf in the Tom and Brenda McDaniel University Center. All students, parents, faculty, staff and alumni are invited. Students must bring their student IDs.
- Matriculation Convocation, a ceremony that formally welcomes new students as members of the community. The procession begins at 8:30 a.m. on Aug. 17 on the Patio of the Tom and Brenda McDaniel University Center. The ceremony follows in Room 136 of the Kirkpatrick Auditorium in Kirkpatrick Fine Arts Center. A 30-minute reception to follow is scheduled for 10 a.m. Student Government Association will introduce themselves and tell new students SGA’s role on campus.
- Stars on Bricktown is scheduled for 8 to 11 p.m. Aug. 17. The event gives new students the opportunity to visit Bricktown. OCU Hospitality Tent will be located on the plaza at 150 E. Reno, north of Harkin’s Theater. Students can ride a shuttle to Bricktown. Shuttle space is limited, but a shuttle will leave from the east side of Methodist Hall parking area every 20 minutes until 10:30 p.m.
- First-Year Follies, an event to help new students “have fun and make new friends,” according to the Stars Week page at www.okcu.edu. It’s hosted from 10 to 11:45 a.m. Aug. 18 in Henry J. Freede Wellness and Activity Center.
- OCU Ghost Tour is scheduled for 9:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Aug. 18 at the West Lawn Pavilion.
- Blue Out Blow Out Pep Rally will be from 12:15 to 1 p.m. Aug. 19. Coaches and Athletic Director Jim Abbott introduce themselves and tell new students about the athletic program, while cheer, pom and Starsky perform.
- OKConnect, an event that began last year that gives new students the opportunity to visit their choice of various locations in Oklahoma City. This year’s location choices include Science Museum Oklahoma, Oklahoma Museum of Art, Civic Center and the Oklahoma City Ballet, and a walking food tour of OKC. Shuttle buses will leave at 10:30 a.m. Aug. 20 from the West Lawn Pavilion. Reservations to go on the trips were required and have been filled.
Other events like sorority recruitment and OCUReads will occur throughout the week. Click here for a full list of events.
Check with MediaOCU.com or on social media for more Stars Week photos and updates, and make sure to pick the first edition of The Campus on Aug. 24 for a full recap.