Family gatherings are great opportunities to relax and catch up with loved ones. However, they are always sprinkled with a few offensive comments that make it easier for us to leave our relatives and go back to school.
1. Comments on appearance:
– (To my cousin): You look so pretty! (To me): You… have such a fun personality!
– You’ve gotten so skinny! How much do you weigh? (I answer)… Oh, that’s more than I thought.
Why do you always feel the need to address my appearance? If you truly cannot think of any other topic to break the ice, just say hello, and I will happily start the conversation!
2. Relationship comments (because marriage is obviously the end goal for every person):
– Do you have a boyfriend yet? Oh, that’s okay, I’m sure you’ll find one soon…
– Well, if you don’t have a boyfriend, who do you have a crush on?
– You know, your cousin finally got a girlfriend. What a relief. I was worried he was gay.
I am an independent person, and I do not need a romantic partner to define me. Same goes for my cousin. I would never ask you about your love life – it’s your business. Please consider this attitude.
3. Sexism enters the picture:
– Wow, this tastes delicious. You’re becoming quite the little housewife!
– Your uncle made this bread? I wasn’t aware that he could cook!
– Honey, will you bring me those dishes? The guys are watching football.
Men and women do not have to follow traditional gender roles. This is the 21st century!
4. Racist comments
I’m not even going to put any examples here. Why would you ever find it acceptable to comment on someone’s race? Stop.
5. Comments and questions about the future that are not helpful to the future
– I’m glad you like college, but what about becoming an engineer? There’s lots of money in engineering.
– Right, but what’s your backup plan?
Please trust that I am an adult capable of making my own life decisions. I will not ask you for money. All I want is your support.
6. Grandpa’s idioms
– Jesus Christ, you look more tired than a one legged man at a butt-kicking contest!
– Well geez, you look more nervous than a whore in church!
– You’re looking happier than a dung beetle at a rodeo!
Grandpa, what are you talking about? We usually have no idea, but thanks for the entertainment!