Student Publications received six awards at the Oklahoma Collegiate Media Association (OCMA) conference March 30 in Stillwater.
The awards were:
- First place in editorial writing by Layout Editor Nathan Hatcher. The award was for an editorial Hatcher wrote about the cancellation of the university’s track team.
- First place in team investigative reporting by Alumna Amanda Alfanos and Susannah Waite, mass communications junior. The award was for coverage of last year’s flood in United Methodist Hall.
- Second place in general news writing by Alumna Amanda Alfanos.
- Second place in news photography by Photo Editor Marianne Pickens.
- Honorable mention in column writing for Columnist Elizabeth Newby.
- Third place in column writing for Alumna Erin Ferrell.
The Student Publications staff competed against larger universities including the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University for the awards. It was the first year the association added the two major state schools to the competition.
“I am thrilled with the competitive nature of this year’s awards and how well Student Publications performed against larger schools with bigger media staffs,” said Kenna Griffin, assistant professor of mass communications and director of student publications. “It’s always rewarding to see our students’ hard work recognized.”
For more information about Student Publications, call (405) 208-6068 or email email@example.com.